Skip to main content

Date with the Woman

After 21 years of marriage, my wife wanted me to take another woman
out to dinner and a movie. She said I love you but I know this other
woman loves you and would love to spend some time with you.

The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit was my MOTHER, who has
been a widow for 19 years, but the demands of my work and my three
children had made it possible to visit her only occasionally.

That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner and a movie.

'What's wrong, are you well,' she asked? My mother is the type of
woman who suspects that a late night call or a surprise invitation is
a sign of bad news.

'I thought that it would be pleasant to be with you,' I responded.
'Just the two of us.'

She thought about it for a moment, and then said, 'I would like that
very much.'

That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick her up I was a bit nervous.

When I arrived at her house, I noticed that she, too, seemed to be
nervous about our date. She waited in the door with her coat on. She
had curled her hair and was wearing the dress that she had worn to
celebrate her last wedding anniversary.

She smiled from a face that was as radiant as an angel's.

'I told my friends that I was going to go out with my son, and they
were impressed, 'she said, as she got into the car. 'They can't wait
to hear about our meeting'. We went to a restaurant that, although not
elegant, was very nice and cozy. My mother took my arm as if she were
the First Lady.

After we sat down, I had to read the menu. Large print. Half way
through the entries, I lifted my eyes and saw Mom sitting there
staring at me. A nostalgic smile was on her lips.

'It was I who used to have to read the menu when you were small,' she
said. 'Then it's time that you relax and let me return the favor,' I
responded.

During the dinner, we had an agreeable conversation - nothing
extraordinary, but catching up on recent events of each other's life.

We talked so much that we missed the movie.

As we arrived at her house later, she said, 'I'll go out with you
again, but only if you let me invite you.' I agreed.

'How was your dinner date?' asked my wife when I got home.

'Very nice. Much more so than I could have imagined,' I answered.

A few days later, my mother died of a massive heart attack. It
happened so suddenly that I didn't have time to do anything for her.
Some time later, I received an envelope with a copy of a restaurant
receipt from the same place mother and I had dined.

An attached note said:

'I paid this bill in advance. I wasn't sure that I could be there; but
nevertheless, I paid for two plates - one for you and the other for
your wife. You will never know what that night meant for me. I love
you, son.’

At that moment, I understood the importance of saying in time: 'I LOVE
YOU!' and to give our loved ones the time that they deserve. Nothing
in life is more important than God and your family. Give them the time
they deserve, because these things cannot be put off till 'some other
time.'

Comments

  1. Very beuatiful! I try evrytime to do it with my Mother: I try to give back to her what she gave to me. Best regards to you, depressed boy (ask your mother for the reason Rui Barbosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks Rui

    will defiantly asked her, and I already know what she will going to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heart touching and beautifully narrated.. gud work indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salty Coffee

He met her on a party. She was so outstanding, many guys chasing after her, while he so normal, nobody paid attention to him. At the end of the party, he invited her to have coffee with him, she was surprised, but due to being polite, she promised. They sat in a nice coffee shop, he was too nervous to say anything, she felt uncomfortable, she thought, please, let me go home.... suddenly he asked the waiter. "would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody stared at him, so strange! His face turned red, but still, he put the salt in his coffee and drank it. She asked him curiously; why you have this hobby? He replied: "when I was a little boy, I was living near the sea, I like playing in the sea, I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood, think of my hometown, I miss my hometown so much, I miss my parents who are still living ther

Another Exam

So my exams story continued again.  I had two exams one on 25 evening and 26 morning. I prepared myself for both of them somehow. On 25 it was 'Advance Java Programming'. The exam was easy and I'll definitely clear it. Even the examiner was very good. She let us to talk and discuss with other students a little bit...   . But the main challenge for me was the exam which was on 26 morning. I studied for this (System software) for late night till 2.30am and then again woke up in the morning at 7am as exam was going to start at 9am and the examination center was quite away. I took my bath and skipped my breakfast and took metro upto there. Everything was ok, untill I entered the examination center.    When I sit at my seat, I just figured out that one of the pen I was having with me just leaked out I my pent's pocket.   . It was very embarrassing situation for me. I went to washroom and apply some water in it, but the spot goes bigger   , them I thought a bit   and just lef