Skip to main content

I am Flying Daddy


Once upon a time there was a little boy who was raised in a orphanage. The little boy had always wished that he could fly like a bird. It was very difficult for him to understand why he could not fly. There were birds at the zoo that were much bigger than he, and they could fly. "Why can't I?" he thought. "Is there something wrong with me?" he wondered. There was another little boy who was crippled. He had always wished that he could walk and run like other little boys and girls. "Why can't I be like them?" he thought. One day the little orphan boy who had wanted to fly like a bird ran away from the orphanage. He came upon a park where he saw the little boy who could not walk or run playing in the sandbox. He ran over to the little boy and asked him if he had ever wanted to fly like a bird. "No," said the little boy who could not walk or run. "But I have wondered what it would be like to walk and run like other boys and girls." "That is very sad." said the little boy who wanted to fly. "Do you think we could be friends?" he said to the little boy in the sandbox. "Sure." said the little boy. The two little boys played for hours. They made sand castles and made really funny sounds with their mouths. Sounds which made them laugh real hard. Then the little boy's father came with a wheel chair to pick up his son. The little boy who had always wanted to fly ran over to the boy's father and whispered something into his ear. "That would be okay," said the man. The little boy who had always wanted to fly like a bird ran over to his new friend and said, "You are my only friend and I wish that there was something that I could do to make you walk and run like other little boys and girls. But I can't. But there is something that I can do for you." The little orphan boy turned around and told his new friend to slide up onto his back. He then began to run across the grass. Faster and faster he ran, carrying the little crippled boy on his back. Faster and harder he ran across the park. Harder and harder he made his legs travel. Soon the wind whistled across the two little boys' faces. The little boy's father began to cry as he watched his beautiful little crippled son flapping his arms up and down in the wind, all the while yelling at the top of his voice, "I'M FLYING, DADDY. I'M FLYING!" 

Epilog: "I'm Flying, Daddy" is a true story. The author, Roger Dean Kiser, was the little orphan boy who carried his friend through the wind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salty Coffee

He met her on a party. She was so outstanding, many guys chasing after her, while he so normal, nobody paid attention to him. At the end of the party, he invited her to have coffee with him, she was surprised, but due to being polite, she promised. They sat in a nice coffee shop, he was too nervous to say anything, she felt uncomfortable, she thought, please, let me go home.... suddenly he asked the waiter. "would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody stared at him, so strange! His face turned red, but still, he put the salt in his coffee and drank it. She asked him curiously; why you have this hobby? He replied: "when I was a little boy, I was living near the sea, I like playing in the sea, I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood, think of my hometown, I miss my hometown so much, I miss my parents who are still living ther...

Date with the Woman

After 21 years of marriage, my wife wanted me to take another woman out to dinner and a movie. She said I love you but I know this other woman loves you and would love to spend some time with you. The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit was my MOTHER, who has been a widow for 19 years, but the demands of my work and my three children had made it possible to visit her only occasionally. That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner and a movie. 'What's wrong, are you well,' she asked? My mother is the type of woman who suspects that a late night call or a surprise invitation is a sign of bad news. 'I thought that it would be pleasant to be with you,' I responded. 'Just the two of us.' She thought about it for a moment, and then said, 'I would like that very much.' That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick her up I was a bit nervous. When I arrived at her house, I noticed that she, too, seemed to be nervous...

The Language of Steam and Ink

 Every Tuesday at 4:00 PM, the world narrowed down to the size of a chipped marble counter and the scent of roasted beans. Maya stepped into The Ivy Nook , the bells above the door chiming a familiar greeting. Sunlight filtered through the dusty windows, catching the steam rising from the espresso machine in a way that made the whole place feel like a dream sequence. And there he was—Liam. He didn’t ask for her order. He never had to. With a soft smile and a smudge of flour on his forearm that Maya found inexplicably endearing, he began the ritual. The rhythmic hiss of the milk, the steady pour, and then the moment that made Maya’s heart do a clumsy somersault: the doodle. Using a fine-tipped marker, he sketched a tiny, perfect bicycle on the side of her paper cup. He slid the latte toward her. Their fingers brushed—a fleeting, electric contact—and they locked eyes. For a long minute, neither moved. Maya felt a profound sense of belonging. He knows, she thought. He feels the same...